The mythology of the ancient Egyptians, one of the world's oldest civilisations, with its tales of death and the underworld, love and sacrifice and its half animal gods and goddesses is among the most mysterious in the history of the world. The costumes of the Egyptians and their deities were generally simple pieces of cloth draped around the body. It was their accessories that made them stand out..
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- White sheet
- Long gold sash
- Needle and thread
- 50-cm (20-inch) circle of rich gold cloth
- Two Velcro fasteners
- 45-by-70-cm (18-by-28-inch) striped cloth. Stripes should run across short side and can be any combination of red, blue, white or gold.
- Roll of gold ribbon
- Halloween mask (optional)
- Pair of sandals
- Flexible rubber snake long enough to go around your upper arm twice
- Bendable piece of wire the same length as snake
- Small plastic cobra with a head about 40mm (1.5 inches) long
- Gold spray paint
For the man's costume, cut a piece of the sheet big enough to wrap around your waist and pin in front. It should come to just around the knees.
Women should wrap the white sheet around their body from back to front just under their armpits. Cross the top corners of the sheet over your shoulders and pin them to the sheet in back.
Wrap the sash around your waist and tie it in front, letting the ends drape down to your knees.
To make the collar, measure around the widest part of your neck. Using this measurement, cut a hole for your neck in the centre of the circle of gold cloth. Make one cut in the back of the collar and attach the Velcro fasteners.
Sew ribbon to the edge of the striped cloth. The ribbon should be at an angle to the stripes rather than parallel.
Spray paint both snakes gold. Cut the head from the cobra off just behind the hood. Glue cobra head to the centre of the gold ribbon.
Wrap striped cloth around your forehead, behind ears and pin it behind your neck. Spread cloth around shoulders. All of your hair should be covered by the head dress. If you are dressing for one of the half-animals gods, put your mask on first.
Wear the costume with sandals and Egyptian themed jewellery.
Make wrist bands from gold ribbon.
Glue underside of rubber snake to wire and wrap it around your upper arm.
Wear mask or add props for whichever god you want to be. Some examples of this would be a hawk mask for Horus or a jackal mask for Anubis.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for