If you are worried about the security of your IBM R40 series laptop you can add an extra layer of protection by setting up a BIOS supervisor password that restricts access to the operating system. As soon as the operating system begins loading the IBM will prompt the user to enter the BIOS password. When you no longer need to use the password you can clear it out by entering the BIOS menu and removing the supervisor password option.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Remove the disc from the IBM R40's optical drive if there is currently a disc inserted. Unplug any extraneous peripheral devices such as USB drives or Ethernet cables.
Turn off the IBM R40 laptop. Press the power button to start up the boot sequence. Press the blue "Access IBM" key when the "To interrupt normal start-up, press the blue Access IBM button" option appears on the screen.
Tap the "F1" key to enter the IBM R40's BIOS menu. Enter in the current BIOS password and press "Enter."
Press the left arrow key four times to highlight the "Security" BIOS tab. Tap the down arrow key to navigate to the "Supervisor Password" option.
Tap the "F5" key and then press "Enter." Type in the current BIOS password for the IBM R40 and hit "Enter" again. Press "Enter" without typing anything else to remove the existing password.
Press the "Escape" key twice to return to the main BIOS menu. Highlight the "Restart" option and press "Enter" to clear out the BIOS password and restart the laptop.
Tips and warnings
- Any changes you make in the BIOS menu can be undone by pressing the "F9" key, which returns all of the settings in the currently selected menu to their factory defaults.
- The BIOS password can only be entered incorrectly three times in a row before it completely locks the IBM R40. If you have forgotten the password and your laptop is locked, you will need to contact IBM's customer support for further assistance.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for