Moss is a type of fungi that thrives in wet and shaded areas. Keeping a brick patio clean is important because moss can make the patio slippery and eventually damage the bricks. Patios also look much better when they are clean. The best way to prevent moss is to keep the patio dry. The best way to clean it is with water and a bleach solution. Cleaning moss off a brick patio is not difficult.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Garden hose nozzle
- Garden hose
- Garden hose with pressure nozzle
- Chlorine bleach
- Spray bottle
- Spray hose attachment
- Power washer
- Moss killing product
Place a garden hose nozzle on its most powerful setting. Clean off the patio with a garden hose. Wash away as much moss as possible.
Scrape off any visible remaining moss with a spatula. A non-metallic spatula is better in order to avoid scratching the bricks.
Mix a solution of bleach and water. Mix one cup of bleach for every gallon of water.
Apply the solution to a small portion on the edge of the patio to see it if affects the colour of the bricks. If the solution causes no change to the colour of the bricks, hose down the entire patio thoroughly.
Spray the solution into the bricks. Use a spray bottle for small areas, a hose spray attachment for the entire patio.
Scrub the solution into the bricks with a soft-bristled brush or broom. Scrub firmly to help remove the roots of the moss, but not so hard that it dislodges the bricks.
Rinse off the patio.
If moss still persists, use a power washer or a commercial moss-removing agent. Use the mildest agent possible.
Tips and warnings
- Cleaning moss off bricks is most effective when the moss is growing, although the patio can be cleaned any time of the year.
- Be careful not to damage the bricks when using a power washer. Cover any plants near the patio when cleaning. Wear rubber gloves while scrubbing. Eye goggles are also a good idea. Only use a soft-bristled brush or broom. Do not use a wire brush.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for