Making your own doll straddle stand can save money. Straddle stands display dolls without distracting from their clothing, when compared to waist doll stands. The top of straddle stands have a hooklike shape that allows the doll to sit in the stand. You will customise the stand for the specific doll and determine the length by the length of the doll's legs. Only a few materials are required to make the straddle stands.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 14-gauge wire
- Needle nose pliers
- 5-inch diameter wooden base
- 5-inch diameter felt
- 1/8-inch metal tubing
- Drill and 1/8-drill bit
Cut the 14-gauge wire about 12 inches long.
Use the needle nose pliers to make a 1/2-inch loop on one end of the wire. This loop will fit against the front of the straddle when the doll is in position.
Place the loop in front of the straddle and bend the wire back between the doll's legs, following the contour of the doll. Bend the wire about halfway up the doll's bottom. This is the "bend" position. The long end of the wire should be sticking straight out the back.
Place the needle nose pliers at the "bend" position and bend the long end of the wire to point straight down.
Drill a hole in the wooden base with the drill and bit. Position the hole about 1 1/2 inches from the edge of the base.
Paint the wooden base and allow it to dry. Glue the felt to the bottom of the base.
Use the hacksaw to cut a piece of metal tubing about 6 inches long. Remove any burrs or sharp pieces from the end of the metal tubing.
Insert the metal tubing into the hole that you drilled in the wooden base.
Insert the wire into the metal tubing. If the wire goes in easy and moves around, remove it and make a few slight bends in the wire. These waves will make the wire stay in the tube without being sloppy.
Tips and warnings
- Decorate the base by covering with fabric, gluing lace or beaded trim around the edge, painting with a name, etc. You can personalise the doll base for an individual or for a specific doll. Consider painting the base to match the doll's dress.
- If the metal tubing is loose in the hold, apply epoxy glue and allow to dry.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for