Many people give a coupon book as a gift during holidays, events or celebrations. As retail or business coupon book users can exchange coupons for discounts or services through a business in-person or online, the holder of a gift coupon book can exchange coupons inside the book for services provided by the gift giver. Although pre-made gift coupon books are available for purchase, many people opt to make a coupon book to create a more personalised and unique gift.
Things you need
Photo kiosk (optional)
External hard drive (optional)
Word processing software
Desktop publishing software (optional)
Perforated printable post or business card sheets (optional)
Paper cutter (optional)
Index-card book (optional)
Make a list of services (for example, house or yard work, pet sitting/walking, babysitting, lunches for a week or a picnic; or more intimate/romantic services such as a hug, sensual massage or even an open-ended "Good For Whatever You Desire”). Next to each service type, make a second list of text—using coupon-related words such as "Good For," "This Coupon Entitles You To" or "Exchange For"—before the text. Examples:
"Good For A Shoulder To Cry On" "This Coupon Entitles You To A Foot Massage" "Exchange For A Week's Worth Of Chores”
Write down front and/or back cover text—generic text such as "Gift Coupon Book” “To: (name)” and “From: (name)” on separate lines, person-specific text such as "Coupon Book For (name)" or "For My Valentine" and/or event-related text such as "Merry Christmas," “Happy Birthday!” or "Happy Mother's Day."
Save images on your computer to use for this project such as a wedding photo for an anniversary coupon book or holiday-related clip art such as presents, a cake and candles for a birthday or bubbles and hearts for Valentine's Day. If you have hard copies, scan the images to your computer with a scanner or use a retail photo kiosk, save to an external hard drive and then upload to your computer.
Open your word processing or desktop publishing program and select a flat-card template based on the book/coupon size that you desire. For example, select a postcard template that prints two or three medium-size postcards per page or a business-card template that allows you to print 10 cards. If you can't find a template, select one from a website that offers free templates such as Avery Dennison or Microsoft.
Create your coupons and front and/or back covers. Insert and position your image(s) on the first card, enter the text that you chose in Step 1 and then edit (change image or font colouring, crop, resize or add borders and special effects) as desired. Repeat with each coupon and the front/back covers.
Print the cards on paper or perforated printable card sheets.
Prepare the cards. Cut the cards from the paper using a paper cutter or carefully pull the cards from the perforated sheets. Stack the cards in order, pick a spot to bind the cards together and then punch a hole through each card at that spot.
Bind the cards together with a piece of ribbon, twine, fabric or lace to make your coupon book.
- If you don't want to design your own coupons, download pre-made free coupon book art from online. If your coupon book project involves young children, make coupon books with pre-made index card books that have removable perforated cards. Write down service-related text for small services that a child offers to do ("Help Make Breakfast" or "Give A Big Hug") and then give the books to the children to decorate with markers and stickers.
Tips and Warnings
- If you don't want to design your own coupons, download pre-made free coupon book art from online.
- If your coupon book project involves young children, make coupon books with pre-made index card books that have removable perforated cards. Write down service-related text for small services that a child offers to do ("Help Make Breakfast" or "Give A Big Hug") and then give the books to the children to decorate with markers and stickers.
Things you need
- Scanner (optional)
- Photo kiosk (optional)
- External hard drive (optional)
- Word processing software
- Desktop publishing software (optional)
- Perforated printable post or business card sheets (optional)
- Paper cutter (optional)
- Hole punch
- Twine (optional)
- Fabric/lace (optional)
- Index-card book (optional)
- Markers (optional)
- Stickers (optional)