We Value Your Privacy

We and our partners use technology such as cookies on our site to personalise content and ads, provide social media features, and analyse our traffic. Click below to consent to the use of this technology across the web. You can change your mind and change your consent choices at anytime by returning to this site.

Update Consent
Loading ...

How to Write a Letter to Extend Your Court Date

Updated February 21, 2019

The process for extending court dates vary. In some districts, you may have to file a motion for continuance. Some courts do not accept letters, so a simple letter will not suffice in those cases. However, if you have been instructed by the court to write a letter for your request, there are some things you should include. The letter should be professional and typewritten. It also should be sent to the court in plenty of time to reschedule your hearing.

Loading ...
  1. Call or visit the clerk of the courts and follow procedures. Inquire if you need to file a motion for continuance or if a letter will work. Ask about any fees.

  2. Format your letter as a business letter. Include your address and date on top of the letter. Put the judge's name and the court's address underneath the date in your letter. Include a memo line with your case number.

  3. Address the letter to the judge who is overseeing your case. Include your request for continuance in the opening paragraph.

  4. Specify the reason you are asking for an extension in the next paragraph. You may want to include how long of an extension you feel you need.

  5. Close your letter with contact information so the court may inform you of a new hearing date, if granted. Sign your letter and proofread the letter for any mistakes in spelling, grammar or punctuation.

  6. Make three copies of the letter. Mail or deliver one to the court. Mail or deliver one to the other party if your case is a civil matter. Keep a copy for your records.

  7. Check with the clerk of the courts before your hearing date if you do not hear a response. You do not want to be in contempt of court for missing your original hearing date if no new date is set.

Loading ...

About the Author

Ireland Wolfe has been writing professionally since 2009, contributing to Toonari Post, Africana Online and Winzer Insurance. She obtained her Bachelor of Arts in psychology and Master of Arts in mental health counseling. She is also a licensed mental health counselor, registered nutritionist and yoga teacher.

Loading ...