Farm jacks, also known as handyman jacks, are a useful tool both and off the farm. Farm jacks are very long compared to most other types of jacks as they were developed for use in lifting tall farm equipment such as tractors and combines. They are still popular for working on equipment, but can be used for a number of other tasks such as off-roading and fence work. Pulling a post with a farm jack takes a little time, but will make the task of removing stubborn posts much simpler.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Safety glasses
- Tow chain
- Flat wooden plank
Clear any debris from around the base of the post. As you pull the post out of the ground, debris on the ground could fly up and cause injuries. Wear safety glasses and gloves at all times to protect yourself.
Set the wooden plank on the ground near the post and place the jack on top of it. The wood will help to distribute the downward force produced by the jack and will keep it from sinking into the ground as you pull the post.
Wrap the chain around the post, securing the chain to the post by passing one hook through a link in the chain. Pass the other hook through the hole in the bottom of the moving portion of the farm jack. Make sure the hook is secure in the hole to prevent it from slipping loose as the pole comes out of the ground.
Hold the top of the jack in one hand to steady it, and move the handle up and down slowly to move the jack upwards. The moving portion will climb upwards with each push of the handle and the post should come easily out of the ground.
Tips and warnings
- It will be easiest to pull the posts while the ground is wet. You can pull the posts after a rainstorm or wet the ground with a hose and let it soak in for an hour if your ground is hard or compacted.
- If you have trouble steadying the jack while pulling the post, have a helper hold the top of the jack for you.
- Keep your fingers away from the moving parts of the jack. Farm jacks exert a large amount of force and can cause severe injuries if used improperly.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for