How to renew passports for children

Written by mary ellen chiles
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
How to renew passports for children
Minors under the age of 16 must renew passports in person. (us passport image by Albert Lozano from

The U.S. Department of State website has explicit directions for passport applicants of different ages. Minors 15 and under must renew their passports every five years; minors under the age of 16 must renew their passports in person; and 16- or 17-year olds, who must show photo ID, must also renew their passports every 10 years.

Skill level:

Things you need

  • Form DS-11
  • Documentation of minor
  • Documentation of parent
  • Photocopies of ID
  • Documentation of parental consent
  • $35 fee
  • 2 passport photos

Show MoreHide


    Renewing a Minor's Passport

  1. 1

    Complete Form DS-11 (see Resources for a link) and bring it to a passport office.

  2. 2

    Present documentation. If you don't have your old passport, you may present one of the following: certified birth certificate, consular report of birth abroad/certification of birth, naturalisation certificate or certificate of citizenship.

  3. 3

    Present evidence of the relationship between minor and parent or guardian. This can include one of the following:

    Minor's certified U.S. birth certificate with both parents' names Minor's certified Foreign Birth Certificate with both parents' names Minor's Report of Birth Abroad with both parents' names Adoption decree with adopting parents' names Court order establishing custody Court order establishing guardianship

  4. 4

    Present legal ID for the parent or guardian. This includes one of following:

    U.S. passport Naturalisation certificate Valid driver's license Current government employee ID (city, state or federal) Current military ID (military and dependents)

  5. 5

    Present a photocopy of the parent's (or guardian's) ID. Both sides of the ID must be copied and enlarged.

    Additional Steps

  1. 1

    Provide consent by signing Form DS-11. Single parents must provide evidence of sole custody. Parents who share custody must bring a notarised statement of consent, linked below.

  2. 2

    Submit two passport photos of the minor.

  3. 3

    Pay the £22 fee.

Tips and warnings

  • According to the State Department website, passports should be renewed nine months before they expire.

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.