Founded in a garage in London in 1946, over the past five decades Dylon, the "Dyes of London," fabric dye company went on to become a major seller in the UK and Europe. Known for their innovation and vibrant colours, Dylon dye is specially made to dye old clothes, like jeans, with fresh colour in cold or warm water in the washing machine. You can also dye fabric a lighter shade if you use Dylon Pre-dye first, then dye the fabric in the Dylon shade you want.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Kitchen scale
- Rubber gloves
- Dylon dye
- Washing machine
- Warm water
- 2 cups salt
- Instant thermometer
- Washing powder
Weigh the fabric you want to dye in order to determine the correct amount of dye needed. (1 package of Dylon dye per 0.603 Kilogram of fabric).
Wash the fabric to remove any stains, soil or debris before dyeing, remove from the washer and set aside wet.
Put on rubber gloves and add the correct number of packages of dye to the washer, then add 2 cups of salt on top of the dye.
Add the wet fabric to the washing machine, then wash on a complete warm wash cycle using 104F water. Check the temperature with an instant thermometer.
Add washing powder, and wash again on a second warm water wash cycle. Remove the dyed fabric at the end of the second wash and dry.
Tips and warnings
- One package of Dylon dye will dye the fabric equivalent of a pair of jeans or a double sheet.
- The original colour of the fabric will affect the final colour as if the fabric colour and the dye colour were mixed together (the dye colour will not be the dominant colour). For example, dyeing a red shirt with blue Dylon dye will produce a purple colour shirt.
- Run a complete wash cycle with detergent after dyeing to remove any traces of dye in an empty washer, then launder two washes of similar coloured clothes in the washer after that.
- Do not add the dye to the washer using the laundry soap dispenser.
- Dylon dye is designed to use in front load washers only.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for