If you own a Microsoft Zune, you’re in the minority—sort of. While Apple’s iPods have dominated the MP3 player market since their introduction, Zunes and iPods have almost identical feature sets, which means Zune owners can take advantage of features designed with iPod owners in mind, such as podcasts. Podcasts are digital files broadcast for playback on a computer or MP3 player (the “pod” part of the name may be a nod to the Apple device). Once you subscribe to a podcast using the Zune software, the podcast will sync with your Zune the next time you connect it.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Connect the Zune to your computer and wait for the Zune software to launch.
Click “Marketplace” at the top of the window, then select “Podcasts.”
Click on a genre from the list on the left, or type a search term in the box at the top right.
Browse the results in the main panel. Click on a podcast to see more information about it before downloading or subscribing.
Download previously broadcast episodes by clicking the “Download” button next to each one, or click “Subscribe,” which will download the entire series (unless you’ve specified otherwise in your settings). You may need to sign in before downloading.
Add a podcast that Zune doesn’t list by locating the podcast in your Web browser. For example, if you notice that a particular website lists a podcast, click on the podcast link.
Copy the URL for the podcast (not the URL in the browser’s address bar but the “Episode URL” or “Podcast URL”).
Click on “Collection,” then “Podcasts” in the Zune software.
Click the button labelled “Add a Podcast” in the left-hand panel.
Paste the URL into the box that appears. Click “Subscribe.”
Tips and warnings
- Once you listen to a podcast on your Zune, the device will delete it on the next sync.
- Set your podcast preferences in the “Settings” panel. Choose in which order you want to view or listen to the podcasts in a series and whether to delete older, unplayed episodes.
- Set preferences for individual podcasts by clicking on the podcast under “Collection,” then “Podcasts,” then clicking on the “Series Settings” button at the right of the window, under “Details.”
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for