You must renew the Advanced Access Content System (AACS) encryption code on your Sony PlayStation 3 every 12 to 18 months. The encryption code is required to play commercial Blu-ray movies and access some features on Blu-ray discs. The PS3 will automatically update the code when you apply a system update. You can update the PS3 system software using a USB flash drive, a new game disc or over the PS3's Internet connection.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Insert the USB flash drive into an open USP port on your computer. The drive must have at least 168MB of free space.
Click "Start," and select "Computer" to open the list of drives. The USB flash drive will appear under "Devices with Removable Storage."
Double-click on the flash drive, and right-click on an empty area. Highlight "New," and select "Folder" to create a new folder. Type "UPDATE," then press the Enter key.
Download the latest version of the PS3 system software from PlayStation.com, and save the file in the UPDATE folder you created.
Remove the USB flash drive from the computer, and insert it into the USB port on the front of the PS3.
Turn on the PS3 without a game disc inserted, and navigate to the "Settings" option. Scroll down to "System Update," then press the X button.
Highlight "Update via Storage Media," and press X again. The PS3 will display a message stating a new update was found. Press X to install the update.
Updating with a USB Flash Drive
Turn on the PS3 with no game disc, or eject the game disc to access the main menu.
Scroll to "Settings," and highlight "System Update."
Select "Update via Internet," then press the X button.
Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the upgrade process.
Updating with an Internet Connection
Tips and warnings
- You can also update the encryption code on your PS3 using a game disc that has the latest system update on the disc. Simply insert the game disc, and the system will apply the update automatically.
- Do not turn off your PS3, remove or insert a USB drive, or eject or insert a game disc while the update is installing. If the update process does not complete, the system software can become corrupted.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for