PlayStation 3 owners aren't limited to only playing games they purchase for their console. The PlayStation 3's web browser and Flash support allows gamers to play free online games through their television screen. Flash-based games are available to any PS3 user with a system running firmware 2.5 or above and are played using a combination of the PS3 controller and a USB keyboard. You can play these games fully without downloading any software and access them in the same way the PS3 accesses a website.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Firmware version 2.5 or higher
- USB keyboard
Plug a USB keyboard into one of the PlayStation 3's USB slots. Many flash games require the use of keyboard for controlling the onscreen action.
Power on your PlayStation 3. Scroll across the cross media bar and highlight "Network." Scroll down and select "Internet Browser" then press "X."
Press "Start" to enter the address entry screen. Input the URL of the site you wish to play games on. Examples of websites compatible with the PS3 are FlashGames247.com and AdultSwim.com.
Use the left analogue stick to highlight the game you wish to play and press "X" to select it. Select "Yes" when your PS3 prompts you to run the plug-in.
Control the game using your controller as the mouse and the keyboard for any button inputs outside of mouse clicking.
Press "Circle" at any time to end the game and exit the browser.
Tips and warnings
- Perform a system update if your PS3 is running on firmware version 2.5 or below. Select "System Update" under the "Settings" menu to begin the upgrade.
- As of January 2010, the PlayStation 3 only supports Flash 9 or below. Any games developed on later versions will not run. Check the FAQ section of the Flash game website you're using to determine the version of Flash needed to run the game.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for