Having a PayPal account can be incredibly useful if you shop or do other business online. But what if you create your PayPal account before you get married? What if you legally change your name? Or what if you made a typographical error in your name when registering with PayPal? Under these and similar circumstances, you can change your name on your personal PayPal account.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Log in to your PayPal account. In the search bar at the top right corner, type "name change" and then hit "Search." Look for the result titled "Contact Us - My Account Profile - Change Name - PayPal" and click on it. You will see two radio buttons offering an option for marriage/divorce/legal name change and one for a minor name change.
Select the "Personal Name Change (incorrect at signup or minor name change)" option and click "Continue." If you need the "marriage, divorce and legal" option, skip to Step 4. If you are changing a minor typographical error, you can do that easily, and you are allowed to change one or two characters in your name.
If you need to change your name more extensively, select that option and click "Continue." PayPal instructs you to upload, fax or mail information concerning your identity to make sure someone is not trying to steal your account. Gather the required documents and upload them. If you would rather fax them, click the button labelled "Continue to Fax Cover Sheet," print the cover sheet and fax your documents as directed. You can also mail your documents to the postal address linked at the bottom of the page. PayPal will send you an e-mail when your request has been processed.
Select the "Personal Name Change (marriage, divorce, legal)" option and click "Continue." To legally demonstrate your name change and make sure your account isn't being stolen, you must send PayPal a copy of either a valid photo ID or a court-issued document showing your name change. You can upload the files or fax the information by clicking on the "Continue to Fax Cover Sheet" button, printing the fax cover sheet and sending it to the provided fax number. You can also mail your documents to the postal address linked at the bottom of the page. PayPal will let you know when your request has been processed.
Tips and warnings
- If you want to change your PayPal account name, it may be easier to simply create a second account and send the money from the first account to your new one. The process of changing your name can be tedious.
- You cannot change the name on a personal PayPal account to the name of another person. If you want to transfer a PayPal account to someone, you must create a second account for the other person and transfer the money between accounts.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for