Bluetooth is a common wireless technology used in mobile phones, computers and Sony's PlayStation 3. For PS3, the console's peripherals, including its Dualshock 3 and Sixaxis gaming controllers, remote control, keyboard, mouse and headset communicate via Bluetooth technology. The use of Bluetooth in the PS3 should allow for universal connectivity for PC gaming; however, the PS3's wireless gaming controllers are not compatible with a PC without installing custom drivers and software.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- PC w/USB and Bluetooth capabilities
- MotionJoy software package
- USB cable with mini-B end
- Dualshock 3 or Sixaxis wireless controller(s)
Download and install a third-party software package, such as MotionJoy. The package should contain all the drivers and software needed to allow Bluetooth communications between the wireless controllers and the PC.
Open the Windows "Start" menu. Click on "All Programs", "MotionJoy" and then right-click on "Install Bluetooth Driver". Select "Run as Administrator". Notepad will open, alerting you when the driver has been installed.
Click on the Windows "Start" menu, followed by "Control Panel", "Printers and Other Devices" and "Game Controllers". The new Bluetooth controller should appear on the list. Do not close the controller window.
Connect the USB cable to a USB port on the computer and the mini-B end to your Dualshock 3 or Sixaxis wireless controller. A USB game controller now appears in the game controller window.
Close the controller window and disconnect the USB cord from the controller. The drivers have been successfully installed.
Locate MotionJoy's "DS3 TOOL", which is located under "Start", "All Programs", then "MotionJoy". After the program loads, click "Pairing".
Press the PS button on the connected wireless controller. Your Bluetooth controller is connected.
Load a PC game with gamepad controller support. Your PS3's wireless controller is fully functional within the game.
Tips and warnings
- You must open the DS3 TOOL every time you want to use your PS3 controller on your PC; this allows it to successfully pair with the Bluetooth on your PC.
- At driver install, if you are using a 64-bit PC, press F8 while installing the Bluetooth drivers and select "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement". This can prevent driver conflicts that can arise.
- As long as the pairing tool is open, you can press the PS button on the wireless controller to disconnect and reconnect the wireless controller from the PC. However, if you disconnect it and use it on your PS3, you must pair it again to use it on your PC.
- If you have multiple Bluetooth adaptors installed, then you will need to disable them.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for