Starting an Acer Aspire laptop in safe mode is one of the best ways to begin the troubleshooting process if the computer is not functioning normally. Safe mode is a minimalist way to start your computer; in safe mode, only the files that are essential to Windows functionality will run at start up. This mode exists to diagnose and, if possible, remedy any software-related issues causing Windows to malfunction in its normal boot mode. Users can boot to safe mode on an Acer Aspire in three easy steps.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Acer Aspire laptop
Power on your Acer Aspire laptop computer.
When you see the Acer splash screen--this contains the Acer logo and usually reads "Empowering People"--repeatedly press the F8 button. You can stop when you see a blinking underscore ( _ ) character. Wait a moment, and a list of boot options will appear.
Use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode," then press "Enter. The Aspire will then boot to Safe Mode.
Tips and warnings
- You have to be quick on pressing the F8 button; if you wait too long, or if you don't press it long enough, the Aspire will boot to normal Windows.
- Most Acer Aspire computers will list multiple boot options when accessing the F8 boot menu, and three of them are different versions of safe mode: safe mode, safe mode with networking, and safe mode with command prompt. These modes are there to help resurrect a computer that does not boot properly in a normal Windows environment, and in most cases, standard safe mode can fix the issues at hand. Unless you absolutely need networking capabilities or know how to operate a DOS-style command prompt, do not select anything other than safe mode.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for