Many of us have had a ring stuck on a swollen finger and have a very difficult time removing the ring. There are several different ways to remove a ring from a swollen finger and each technique used is dependent on how swollen your finger is.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Soap and water
- Dental floss
Apply ice to swollen finger.
Keeping the ice on your finger, elevate the hand your swollen finger is on and lift it above your heart for 15 minutes.
Rotate the ring on your swollen finger in a circular motion up toward the top of your finger until you have completely removed the ring.
If you are not able to remove the ring, apply soap and water to your swollen finger and entirely around the ring. Rotate the ring on your swollen finger in a circular motion up toward the top of your finger.
If you are finding that your ring still will not come off your finger, slip a piece of dental floss underneath the ring on your swollen finger making sure the longest end of the floss is facing the tip of your swollen finger.
Wrap the floss around your swollen finger starting just above your ring. Make sure each row of floss wrapped is wound directly next to the last row. Wrap the floss toward the tip of your finger and end just after the swollen joint. Make sure you pull the floss tight, as this will help compress your finger and help you to get the ring off.
Grasp and pull the end of the floss that is tucked under the ring and begin to unwind the floss from your finger. Make sure to go slowly and grip the floss firmly. This will help guide the ring up toward the tip of your swollen finger.
Once the ring has passed your swollen joint, unwind the remaining floss from your finger to make sure your circulation is not cut off.
Tips and warnings
- Make sure you use wax coated dental floss, as this works best when trying to remove a ring.
- If you are unable to remove your ring with any of the above techniques and are concerned about circulation in your finger being cut off completely, contact your doctor. Your ring may have to be removed by cutting it off.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for