Grilling and baking meats and vegetables in foil pouches is a way to make preparation and cleanup easier. Cooking in foil pouches locks in savoury flavours during the cooking process. You can use any brand of foil to create foil pouches, but heavy-duty foil performs better on the grill. Foil pouches create individual portions of a meal, which make serving time shorter. And you don't have to bother with pots and pans.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Cookie sheet
- Grill or oven
Tear off a square or rectangle of foil, approximately 12 inches by 12 inches, or larger if the amount of food to be encased within the pouch necessitates more foil, and place the piece of foil onto a flat surface. Place the food to be baked or grilled in the centre of the foil.
Grasp the right and left edges of the foil in your hands, touching the foil edges together above the food, and fold the edges together and over down toward the food until the foil is about an inch or two above the food inside.
Flatten the edges at the top of the foil and fold them together toward you. Fold twice. Flatten the edges at the bottom of the foil and fold them away from you toward the centre of the pouch. Fold twice. You have formed a foil pouch.
Place the foil pouch onto a cookie sheet for baking in the oven, or place the foil pouch directly onto the grill rack for grilling. You can cook multiple foil pouches simultaneously.
Clean up. Save any leftovers if desired by refolding the food inside an empty foil pouch, or dispose of the foil pouch by rinsing the foil in tap water and recycling, if that is allowed in your area, or by crumpling the empty foil pouch and discarding it in the trash.
Tips and warnings
- Many websites list various foil pouch methods and recipes. Search for foil pouch recipes. You can adapt most baking or grilling recipes to use the foil pouch method.
- Use caution when handling hot foil pouches as they can burn. Use the same safety precautions when baking or grilling with foil pouches as you would for a hot pan or pot in the kitchen. Potholders are recommended.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for