As you surf the Internet and download files, eventually the hard drive on your Sony Vaio laptop will begin to fill up. If your hard drive is nearing capacity, you'll notice that the system runs much more slowly than it used to. Free up hard drive space on the Vaio to make room for new programs and improve your system's performance. Rather than searching for each individual file you want to delete, you can use the Disk Cleanup program included on your laptop to quickly free up hard drive space.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Blank CD-R
Click the Start menu and select "All Programs." Click "Accessories" and choose "System Tools."
Click "Disk Cleanup." Select the option to remove files on all the laptop's profiles. Type in your administrator password if you have set one up and click "OK."
Click the drive letter corresponding to your Sony Vaio's hard drive. Click "OK." Click the check boxes labelled "Temporary Internet Files," "Offline Web Pages," "Recycle Bin" and "System Error Memory Dump Files."
Decide if you want to remove any programs you've downloaded from the Internet that you no longer use. Click the "Download Program Files" check box if you want to delete the files to free up more hard drive space.
Click "OK" to remove the unnecessary files and free up some hard drive space. Navigate to the "More Options" tab.
Scroll through the list of programs installed on your Sony Vaio. Click the check box next to any program you no longer need. Click "OK" to remove the programs from your hard drive.
Tips and warnings
- If your Sony Vaio uses Windows XP you can access the Disk Cleanup program by opening the Start menu and clicking "Run." Type "cleanmgr" in the text box and press Enter.
- If you want to restore the Sony Vaio hard drive back to factory settings and erase all of your files, you can use the Vaio recovery wizard. Insert a blank CD-R into the Vaio's disk drive, then open the recovery wizard from the Start menu. Follow the on-screen instructions to create a recovery disk. Restart the laptop with the disk still in the drive to completely clean out the hard drive.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for