Painting a wood floor has generally been seen as a cost effective method of salvaging a floor that might not be worth refinishing. However, painting a wood floor can also be a great way to add a beautiful design element to your home. One simple way to enhance a contemporary or modern design is to paint your wood flooring a deep colour, such as chocolate brown or black.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Medium grit sand paper
- Protective goggles
- Face mask
- Source for water
- Floor paint
- Floor primer
- Rolling paint brush
- Extension pole
For previously painted floors, scrape any loose or cracking paint. Use a medium grit sand paper to remove any glossy areas and smooth rough spots. Be sure to wear protective goggles and a face mask.
Sweep the floor several times to remove dust and debris. Mix one part bleach to three parts water, and damp mop the floor. Continue to apply as the floor dries until the bleach mixture has set for at least 20 minutes. This mixture will kill any mildew spores that might be in the floor.
After 20 minutes, mop the floor with a bucket of warm water and detergent. Rinse well with a fresh bucket of plain water. Allow the floor to dry completely.
Using a roller, apply wood primer according to manufacturer's directions. Allow to dry as directed (normally 24 hours) and then apply latex-based floor paint in your choice of colours. Apply as many coats of paint as needed to get the coverage you want.
After the paint has cured (again, normally 24 hours), apply two coats of water-based polyurethane to protect from wear and tear. Apply according to manufacturer's directions, allowing to dry as directed between coats.
Tips and warnings
- Prep work will make or break your painting results. Don't skip it.
- Use painter's tape to protect your baseboards from accidents. Painter's tape can also be used to create patterns on your floor. Apply after primer.
- Use a self priming paint product to save time. Be sure to follow manufacturer's directions.
- Always use protective wear when sanding and painting. Protective wear includes face mask, eye goggles and gloves, as well as long-sleeved shirts and full trousers.
- Make sure you have open ventilation when sanding, working with bleach and painting. If possible, leave windows open or use a fan for air circulation.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for