While hair colour can disguise grey hair, many women tire of the expense as well as the constant maintenance involved with the use of hair dyes. Thanks to celebrities, such as Jamie Lee Curtis and Helen Mirren, who prove that grey hair can look stylish and trendy, in addition to hair care products that condition and treat grey hair, women increasingly view grey hair as a chic option.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Semi-permanent hair colour
- Hair conditioner
- Gray hair care shampoo
Visit your hairstylist and develop a plan for gradually growing out your grey hair. Your options might include adding lowlights (darker streaks) to add definition and blend in the roots or applying a semi-permanent colour to your hair until the grey grows out a bit.
Consider cutting your hair into a shorter, trendier style. A choppy, layered cut often looks more youthful and disguises the different hair colours. According to Mark DeVincenzo, creative director Frédéric Fekkai Salon in New York City, women with grey hair need a contemporary cut in order to look stylish and modern.
Change your make-up to complement your new hair palette. Gray hair can wash out your complexion and make you look pale. Purchase some vibrant, new make-up shades to re-energise your look and flatter your colouring.
Condition your hair on a regular basis. Gray hair tends to be brittle and prone to dryness due to the thinning of the cuticle that protects hair from damage. Your hair might also be coarser and more prone to breakage.
Choose products specifically designed for grey hair to keep your hair in optimal condition. Wash hair with shampoos made for grey hair once a week to prevent it from yellowing due to exposure to smoke, sun and environmental pollutants. Use clear hairsprays and gels to avoid discolouring grey hair.
Tips and warnings
- Wait until your roots are at least 60 per cent grey for the most natural look when your grey hair grows in.
- Apply a clear gloss or glaze to your hair on a monthly basis to boost the shine of your hair.
- Take care not to overuse grey hair shampoos and products since they often counteract the yellowing of grey hair by including blue colourings that can give your hair a purple tint.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for