Bird mites infest wild birds and their nests. They might invade your home when a cat brings home a dead bird, or when they're vacating a deserted bird's nest. These mites can inhabit furniture, clothing and carpet in a household, and cause damage to both humans and pets. They bite, and can cause skin problems. If your house has a bird mite infestation, it's important to take immediate steps.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Pruning shears
- Rubber gloves
- Sprayable miticide
- Dust miticide
- Miticide fumigant
- Hand duster
- 50/50 vinegar/water solution
- 91% alcohol solution
Prevent bird mites from entering your house, or find and eliminate the source. Remove all bird feeders and bird houses, trim any trees that grow close to your house and remove any bird nests that have been built against your house (in the eaves or under A/C units). Always wear rubber gloves when performing this type of work.
Spray all areas with a miticide to kill any remaining mites.
Remove and wash your clothes immediately. Remove and discard the rubber gloves.
If your house has been infested with bird mites, use the miticide inside your house. Put the miticide powder into a hand duster, and dust it into the cracks in walls, the floor boards and into any crawl spaces. If you have a spray miticide, spray it into these places as well.
Place a miticide fogger in your house (similar to a flea bomb), and follow the instructions on the packaging to fumigate your house against bird mites.
Vacuum your carpet daily until you're sure that your house is free of bird mites.
Tips and warnings
- When you're removing bird mites from your home, remember to wet mop the walls and ceilings as well, with the vinegar or alcohol solutions.
- Repeat house treatments seven to 10 days after the first treatment, to kill any newly hatched mites.
- Insecticides can be dangerous to pets. Always follow directions when using a miticide or insecticide.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for