Dressing up at Halloween often means uncomfortable costumes that don't fit very well. Using these directions to make a cuddly bear costume means that your attire will not only fit perfectly, it will also be designed exactly to your preference. Better yet, instead of spending money on a costume for a single night, you will be able to reuse elements of the costume in your everyday wardrobe.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Solid-colour sweat suit
- Acrylic paint
- Paint brush
- Craft foam
- Hot glue gun
- Faux fur
- Safety pin
Decide whether you want to be a realistic bear or a cartoon bear. You could be a brown grizzly bear, a white polar bear, a pink Care Bear or a yellow Winnie-the-Pooh bear. Regardless of which type of bear you choose, the steps will be the same---just match all the colours of your materials to the style you prefer.
Purchase a simple sweatsuit in a solid colour. Make sure the top and bottom match exactly. A hood is OK and can be used as part of the costume, but try to avoid sweatshirts with zippers, pockets or other features that will interfere with the uniform look of the costume.
Paint a contrasting belly on the front of the sweat shirt. If your bear design has clothing or an emblem on the belly, paint that on, too.
Cut large half-circles out of the craft foam. Cut smaller half-circles out of the felt. These will be the bear's ears.
Glue the smaller circles inside the larger circles, offsetting them from centre. Glue the ears to the headband so they stick straight up when the headband is on your head.
Cut out a small rectangular tail from the faux fur. Use a safety pin to attach it to the seat of the sweatpants.
Paint your face to look like a bear using the acrylic paint.
Tips and warnings
- Since you are not gluing anything to the trousers, you can wear them again. If you want to be able to reuse the sweatshirt, cut out a belly circle from contrasting felt and attach it to the sweatshirt with double-sided tape.
- If you can find a hooded sweatshirt to match the trousers, you can use glue or safety pins to attach the ears directly to the top of the hood.
- Be very careful with the hot glue gun as it could cause severe burns. Children should not use it without close adult supervision.
- Face paint is preferable to a face mask because it does not inhibit vision.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for