This is a basic recipe for chocolate fairy cakes, or chocolate cupcakes, that can be customised with different kinds of topping and decoration. Different flavours of icing or frosting and sprinkles can be used. They can be turned into "butterfly cakes" or simply sprinkled with icing/icing sugar.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 113gr butter or margarine
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup superfine sugar
Heat the oven to 325F and place a liner in each section of the cupcake tin.
Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder into a large mixing bowl.
Add the butter/margarine, eggs and sugar to the flour mixture and beat with an electric mixer, slowly at first and then gradually increasing the speed until all the ingredients are blended.
Test the mixture with a spoon--the batter should drop off the spoon easily when it is tapped against the bowl. If it is too thick, add a few tablespoons of water and whisk again until the correct consistency is reached.
Spoon the batter into the lined cups so that each is about 2/3 full. Bake for about 20 minutes or until risen.
When the cupcakes have cooled, top them with your choice of icing sugar/icing sugar, frosting/icing and/or sprinkles.
Making Chocolate Fairy Cakes
Tips and warnings
- Most cake recipes can be used to make fairy cakes/cupcakes by simply reducing the baking time and keeping your eye on them while baking so that they do not burn.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for