The Xbox 360 console has a removable hard drive that can be swapped out with a larger one if you run out of space and need more room for extra downloaded content or saved game files. You can transfer all of the data from the original hard drive to the new hard drive externally without having to use a second console. All new 120 gigabyte hard drives come with a transfer kit, but if you acquired your hard drive used you can still get a free transfer kit directly through Microsoft (see Tips).
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Xbox 360 transfer kit
Power off your Xbox 360 console and remove any accessories that are connected to the USB ports. Turn on the Xbox 360 controller by pressing the large silver button at the centre of the controller.
Plug the male end of the USB port on the transfer cable into the female USB port on the back side of the Xbox 360 console. Do not plug the cable into the front USB port or the data will not transfer to the new hard drive successfully.
Attach the other end of the transfer cable to the male port on the new hard drive. Power on the Xbox 360 console and open the DVD tray. Insert the transfer disc that came with the cable into the DVD tray.
Follow the instructions that will appear on your television screen to initiate the transfer process.
Power off the Xbox 360 console once the transfer is complete and lift the original hard drive off of the top of the console. Place the new hard drive in its place to use the transferred data.
Tips and warnings
- Go to the Microsoft website and access the transfer kit request form page (see Resources below). Print off a copy of the request form. Fill in the information on the form by writing your name, address, contact information and the registration number on the new hard drive. Mail the request form to the address listed on the Microsoft XBOX 360 website and wait for the transfer kit to arrive.
- Movie rentals will not be transferred between the hard drives, so make sure to watch them on the original hard drive before you perform the transfer.
- The amount of time that the transfer process takes can vary greatly depending on the amount of data on the original drive. If the drive is completely full the transfer could potentially take up to two hours.
- If you have already downloaded any content to the external hard drive, such as games from the XBOX Live Marketplace, it will all be deleted once the transfer the data from the original hard drive.
- All of the data on the original hard drive will be permanently erased once you complete the transfer, which is a security measure implemented by Microsoft to ensure users are not transferring purchased downloaded content to each other for free.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for