Have you ever watched a professional dog show like Westminster and wondered how the owners got their dog's curly hair looking so perfectly groomed and coiffed? Have you ever been surprised to see a naturally curly breed with a straight, soft looking coat? While the dog's coat might look like a million bucks, achieving a stylish, straight look on your own dog won't drain your bank account. It doesn't take a long day in a doggy salon with an expensive groomer to straighten and style your dog's hair. All you need to straighten your dog's hair is a blow dryer and some basic grooming tools.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Challenging
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Dog pin brush
- Dog shampoo
- Dog conditioner
- Bath mat
- Blow dryer
Shampoo and condition your dog's hair thoroughly. You can use whatever type of dog shampoo and conditioner that you like, but always use conditioner as it will detangle your dog's curly hair and make it easier to brush out. Make sure to put a bath mat inside the tub so your dog won't slip or slide as you wash him.
Rinse the shampoo and conditioner from your dog's hair and dry him enough so that his hair is no longer dripping but is still damp to the touch.
With a blow dryer, dry your dog's hair on the lowest setting. If you can put the dryer on a cool setting, that would work best.
Brush out your dog's hair with a pin brush as you dry. The pin brush is made for brushing out curly or wavy coats.
When the hair is dried and brushed it should be straight and soft. This straight look should last approximately 1 week. Brush your dog's hair daily to maintain this look.
Tips and warnings
- You can substitute dog shampoo and conditioner with baby shampoo and herbal conditioners. Just make sure not to use these shampoos too much, as they can irritate the dog's skin after prolonged use.
- Do not use any heat straighteners or straightening chemicals on your dog's hair. These methods are meant for humans and will burn and irritate your dog's skin.
- Purchase a pin brush with polished pins so your dog's skin will not be scratched or damaged.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for