Making your own lipstick is a way to use a cosmetic product that has only the ingredients that you like. Homemade lipstick is easy, quick and inexpensive to make. Following these directions you can make your own lipstick using common ingredients and kitchen utensils. As an added benefit, these ingredients are all-natural, vegan and good for your skin.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Candellila Wax
- Castor Oil
- Vitamin E
- Grapeseed Oil
- Essential Oils
- Lipstick Mold or Lipgloss Container
Place 1 teaspoon candellila wax in a small microwave-safe bowl. Melt in microwave for 10 seconds at a time until fully melted.
Stir in 1/4 teaspoon castor oil, one drop grapeseed oil, one drop vitamin E and one drop essential oil. Examples of good essential oils are lavender and tea tree oil. Stir until smooth. Mixture should be thick enough to coat a spoon. Add more candellila wax if the mixture is too thin. Add more castor oil if the mixture is too thick.
Stir in juice from fruit, adding one drop at a time until mixture is desired colour. Examples of good fruits to use are pomegranate and cherry. Stir until smooth. Add more candellila wax if needed to maintain desired consistency.
Pour mixture into a lip gloss container or lipstick mould and let harden for 2 hours.
Test lipstick firmness. If it is too soft, remove from container and add more heated candellila wax. Stir until smooth and pour back into lipgloss container or lipstick mould.
Tips and warnings
- Have fun experimenting with different essential oils and fruits.
- Keep lipstick out of the heat to prevent melting.
- Vitamin E and tea tree oil are natural preservatives that will extend the shelf life of your homemade lipstick to last as long as most commercial lipsticks.
- All cosmetic products have the potential to cause allergic reaction. Discontinue use if you experience any allergic reaction.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for