People notice people who wear hats. However, most of us don't have the space or money to buy a hat to match several outfits. Learn to sew removable hat bands to coordinate with your clothing and save both your storage space and your money. Just start with a basic hat in a neutral color, such as cream, black or tan.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Decide which outfits you want to accessorize with a hat. Cut small color swatches from the outfit, or take the outfit with you to the fabric shop. If you're having a skirt shortened, ask the tailor to save the material for a hat band.
Look for coordinating stretchy fabric in luxurious colors and textures at your local fabric shop. A quarter of a yard is the minimum amount most shops will sell, and that will be more than enough to sew the hat band. Buy thread to match the fabric, and if the fabric isn't stretchy, purchase 1 inch wide elastic.
Wrap the fabric around the hat and cut to fit, allowing 1 inch for the seam allowance. To make a 2 inch band, cut the width to 4 inches plus a 1 inch seam allowance.
Turn under 1/2 inch at one of the short ends and sew the end seam. Sew only the seam without closing the end of the fabric because you will slip the other short end inside this finished end later.
Pin the right sides of the fabric together and sew the long seam with 1/2 inch seam allowances. Turn the fabric right side out. You should have a tube of fabric open at both ends.
Measure the elastic to fit the hat band with 1/2 inch extra for overlapping if the fabric isn't stretchy. Insert the elastic through the fabric tube and sew the ends together.
Finish the stretchy or non-stretchy hat band by slipping the raw end inside the finished end and sewing the ends together with slip stitches. Slide the removable hat band over the hat.
Tips and warnings
- You can further embellish the hat band by pinning brooches, earrings and fabric roses to the hat band itself.
- Make hat bands of different widths for different outfits. A bold outfit calls for a wider band while a softer romantic look will coordinate with a narrower band.
- Don't use a floppy hat as the foundation for your removable hat bands. The band may squeeze the crown out of shape, and floppy hats are for seasonal beach wear not for wearing with your best dresses and pantsuits.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for