Cork tiles are decorating tools that add visual interest, warmth and acoustic qualities to walls and ceilings. Cork tiles come in a variety of colors and have different surfaces from which to choose. Install cork tiles using the right materials and surface preparation. Read on to learn how to install cork wall tires.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Challenging
Things you need
- Contact glue (if required)
- Clean paint roller
- Measuring tape
- Cork tiles
- Carpet cutter
Examine the surface of the wall or ceiling where you plan to install cork tiles. They can go onto drywall, plywood, concrete or even particle board. Never put cork tiles on top of wallpaper.
Acclimate the cork tile to your home before installation. It should sit in the home for a few days before installation.
Start at the center of the wall to mark a grid that helps you install cork tiles. Mark the center axis of the wall after measuring from side to side and top to bottom.
Work outward from the center axis by measuring and marking set lines for several tiles in all directions. This gives you the lines you need to follow for the rest of the wall.
Follow instructions to the letter for pre-pasted tiles or those you install with contact glue. In all cases manufacturers emphasize the surface should be dry and clean so the tiles will stick properly.
Trim corner tiles to fit as needed. This is much like fitting in the pieces of a puzzle as you get to the sides of the walls. A carpet cutter or similar tool works well.
Use a clean paint roller over the entire cork tile surface to get air bubbles from the contact glue or self-adhesive.
Tips and warnings
- Paint the background of the wall a color that matches the cork tiles and let it dry thoroughly before you install. This allows for a grout-like appearance in between the tiles.
- You can install in a staggered look or straight lines, depending on the effect you are trying to achieve.
- Similar to when hanging wallpaper, work in small areas with the glue so that it doesn't dry out during installation.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for