Maybe after New Years you find yourself with a lot of half-empty bottles of flat champagne sitting around the refrigerator. You don't have to toss it out. You can make champagne vinegar at home. All you need is some champagne and few more items.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- One gallon glass or ceramic crock with a spigot
- Vinegar mother
- Rubber band or string
- Empty glass bottles
Purchase a 1 gallon glass or ceramic crock with a spigot. Your vinegar will be made in this container.
Locate an 8 oz. bottle of commercial vinegar mother from a beer or wine making store. Vinegar mother can also be found on the Internet.
Dilute 2 cups of champagne with 1 cup of water. Pour this solution into the crock.
Add the vinegar mother to the crock.
Cover the crock with cheesecloth and fasten it securely with a rubber band or string.
Place the crock in a warm place, such as a window sill, where it can sit undisturbed.
Add 2 1/2 cups champagne to the crock three times over the next two weeks.
Let the crock sit at least 12 weeks before testing.
Bottle the champagne vinegar when it tastes and smells like vinegar. Put it in clean bottles or jars with a funnel. It will last for three or four months.
Make more champagne vinegar as needed by leaving the vinegar mother in the crock and repeating these steps.
Tips and warnings
- Vinegar mother is a colony of bacteria which converts the wine into vinegar. Vinegar mother is the same for champagne vinegar and red or white wine vinegar. It's the champagne that makes the difference.
- It takes longer to make champagne vinegar than red wine vinegar, up to six months. You just have to taste test it and when it tastes like vinegar it's done.
- Champagne vinegar can be cloudy. You can filter it with a coffee filter.
- If you don't have enough champagne, you can add white wine as well.
- You don't have to bottle the vinegar. Some people just use what they need and add a little champagne to the crock.
- If the vinegar goes bad or otherwise doesn't taste and smell like vinegar, toss it out and start over.