This traditional dish from the Scottish Borders is not only a fun word to say, but it also makes for a quintessential hearty soul warming meal. Ideal for those who are cooking on a budget, Rumbledethumps calls for only several easy to find the main ingredients: cabbage, potatoes and onion.
Things you need
• 600g/1lb 5oz large potatoes, peeled and chopped into chunks
• 75g/2¾oz unsalted butter
• 1 onion, chopped
• 1 large green cabbage, finely sliced
• 1 small swede (turnip), peeled and chopped
• 25g/1oz cheddar cheese, grated
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• Potato masher
Fill a saucepan with salted water over high heat. Once it starts to boil, add the potatoes and swede, cooking until the vegetables are tender. Drain and return to the pan.
Heat half of the butter in a pan. Once hot, add the onions and cook until translucent and soft. Then, add the cabbage and cook until it’s tender, but hasn’t lost its green colour.
Combine the cabbage and onion to the potatoes and swede, mix in the remaining half of butter and mash everything together with a potato masher. Season with salt and pepper.
Place the vegetable mashed mixture into a casserole dish and top with the grated cheddar cheese. Bake for 30 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
Things you need
- • 600g/1lb 5oz large potatoes, peeled and chopped into chunks
- • 75g/2¾oz unsalted butter
- • 1 onion, chopped
- • 1 large green cabbage, finely sliced
- • 1 small swede (turnip), peeled and chopped
- • 25g/1oz cheddar cheese, grated
- • Salt and pepper, to taste
- • Potato masher