Facebook gives you a good deal of control over which of your activities show up in your Timeline and in your friends' news feeds. As well as controlling the visibility of your posts through the audience selector tool, you can also hide recent activities retroactively. For each activity, you can choose to hide the content from others, or delete it from Facebook completely. Your options are more limited if you are tagged in content uploaded by others, as you don't have permission to change the audience or remove this type of activity.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Log in to Facebook and click your username to open up your Timeline. Click "Activity log" to see your recent activity on the social networking site.
Click on the audience selector drop-down menu to the right of any entry to set who can see this activity. Choose "Only Me" to keep the activity private, or "Custom" to choose particular friends who can or cannot view the post. The option you choose here affects who can see the activity in Facebook search, on Timelines and in news feed.
Click the edit drop-down menu and choose "Hidden from Timeline" to hide an activity from your Timeline. Even if an activity is hidden from your Timeline, it may still appear in the news feed, in Facebook search or on other people's Timelines, depending on the audience for the post and the other people tagged in it.
Choose "Delete" from the edit drop-down menu to remove the activity from Facebook altogether. This option only appears for content you've created or which has been posted directly to your Timeline.
Tips and warnings
- Likes cannot be hidden on Facebook, and the audience for the like is the same as the audience for the post itself. In the activity log you have the option to unlike the post.
- You have less control over content that isn't posted by you or that isn't posted directly to your Timeline, such as status updates or photos you are tagged in, where the original poster controls the audience and visibility of the post. You do have the option to untag yourself or hide the post from your Timeline.
- If you want to be able to approve posts before they appear on your Timeline, activate the Timeline Review feature from the Timeline and Tagging section of the Account Settings page. Posts can then be displayed or hidden from the Timeline Review section on the Activity Log page. Again, they may appear in the news feed, Facebook search and on other people's Timelines, irrespective of whether you hide the content from your own Timeline.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for