Media player software VLC Player can handle a range of formats. This includes the MP4 video format that can be played by iTunes and its variant M4V. However, most videos sold through the iTunes store cannot be played on other devices. You may want to play videos from your iTunes library on VLC Player if you prefer its interface and controls to that of iTunes.
- Skill level:
Open iTunes, select your "Library" then select the "Films" or "TV section."
Find the listing for the video you want to watch in VLC, click it once to select it, then right-click it to bring up the contextual menu. Click on "Show in Windows Explorer."
Right-click the file name when it appears in Windows Explorer, select "Open with" and then "VLC Media Player." Alternatively, make a note of the file location, start up VLC Media Player, click on "Media" and then "Open File" before selecting your video.
Tips and warnings
- Files in your iTunes library will be in MOV, MP4 or M4V format: any files in other formats are automatically converted when you add them to iTunes. MOV is the QuickTime format used by Apple. MP4 is a widely used video format, while M4V is a special Apple version of MP4. VLC Player can handle both MOV and MP4 formats.
- VLC Player will be unable to open an M4V file that you have purchased from the iTunes store. M4V files have digital right management (DRM) copy protection. This means they can only be played through iTunes, on either a computer or mobile device that is authorised for your iTunes account.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for