How to change an EU driver's licence into a British one

Written by justin schamotta | 13/05/2017
How to change an EU driver's licence into a British one
European drivers can exchange their licence for a British version if they reside in the UK. (Creatas/Creatas/Getty Images)

Persons holding a valid EEU Community license are permitted to drive in the UK. Drivers must be at least 17 years old to operate cars and motorcycles, 18 years old for medium-sized vehicles and 21 years old to drive buses and large lorries. EU Community Licences can be used until the driver is 70 or for a period of three years should they become a UK resident, after which they must be exchanged for a GB licence.

Order a D1 form by visiting or by picking one up at a branch of the Post Office.

Complete the form. Applicants must be a legal UK resident and have a permanent address in the country.

Gather the required paperwork. Drivers must surrender their foreign licence so that it can be returned to the issuing authority in their home country. They must also provide proof of their identity such as a full valid passport, biometric residence permit or UK certificate of naturalisation.

Send the completed form, together with the required fee and relevant documentation, to the following address: DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BT.

Things you need

  • Valid EEU Community licence
  • Proof of Identification
  • Permanent UK address

Show MoreHide

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.