Newsprint ink allergy

Written by jenn klein
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
Newsprint ink allergy
Substances used in some newspaper ink can cause allergic reactions in the skin and eyes. (periodico image by nuryudijes from

Newspaper ink is a minor annoyance to most people, at most prompting the need to wash their hands after handling the paper. For others, the substance used to make the ink commonly used on newsprint can cause allergies, usually affecting the eyes and skin.

Other People Are Reading

Skin Allergies

A reaction from newspaper ink could be an allergy to rosin. Rosin---the sticky sap that comes from pine and spruce trees---is used in many substances, including make-up, varnish and newspaper ink. Allergic reactions to rosin, known as colophony, can cause acute allergic contact dermatitis, an itchy skin condition.

Eye Allergies

Newspaper ink can also irritate the eyelids. The Allergy Asthma and Immunology Society of Ontario found the eyelids have "very delicate and sensitive skin" that is "susceptible to many irritants and allergens," including newspaper ink, house dust mites and cosmetics.


Allergic reactions to rosin can also cause or aggravate asthma.


The best way to avoid an allergic reaction to newspaper ink is to avoid it. If you have allergic reactions to rosin, read the ingredient list on packaging before using a product to see if it contains rosin. Or use gloves or protective clothing. To avoid irritating your eyes after touching a newspaper, wash your hands immediately afterward with soup and warm water.


Dermatologists can treat contact dermatitis with creams, topical or oral steroids, topical or oral antibiotics or immunosuppressive drugs.

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.