Household mold & mushroom

Written by marlene affeld
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
Household mold & mushroom
Fungus can grow in your house. (Mushrooms image by Kirill Burtovoy from Fotolia.com)

Mold, also known as mildew, is a living fungus and a part of a common group of micro-organisms that often serve a helpful and vital role in the environment. This group includes fungi such as yeast and penicillin. However, mould can develop on food, making it unsuitable to consume. Mold (filamentous fungi) can grow in damp places in the home such as shower stalls, basements, crawl spaces and kitchens. Mushrooms or other small fungal growth can also develop in humid households.

Other People Are Reading

How Mold Enters Our Homes

Mold spores are everywhere around us, entering our homes invisibly on people's skin, clothing, through heating and ventilation, open doors, windows and on the fur of pets. Although some mould spores can live at temperatures below freezing, the majority of mould thrives when humidity is more than 60 per cent and the temperature is between 12.8 to 32.2 degrees Celsius.

Household mold & mushroom
Delicate fungi attracts attention. (champignon 3 image by jérôme caffin from Fotolia.com)

Invisible Mold Danger

Mold may be present in your home even if you cannot see it, hidden inside walls or behind baseboards. Sometimes the only indication of mould is a vague mouldy or musty odour. Mold may be hidden behind wallpaper, drywall or panelling, under carpeting or flooring. Mold often grows inside of walls where water has leaked or condensation builds up. Homes in hot, humid climates are constantly subject to mildew and mould growth.

Mold Damage

Mold and mildew (mould growing on fabric) spores destroy whatever they are growing on. If you have mould evident in your home, act quickly to prevent further damage. Mold disintegrates the structure it grows upon.

Household mold & mushroom
Mold grows quickly on fruit. (fungus on ortaniques image by GeoM from Fotolia.com)

Health Concerns

Black toxic mould produces toxic chemicals (mycotoxins) that can damage health and deplete energy. Mycotoxins are evident on the spores and released into the air. Many people are highly allergic to mould and mildew spores. Contact your health care provider if anyone in your household presents allergy-related symptoms such as: runny nose, sneezing, nasal congestion, watery eyes, coughing, wheezing, itching, skin irritations, headache, difficulty breathing and fatigue.

Household mold & mushroom
A doctor can determine the problem. (doctor visiting image by TEMISTOCLE LUCARELLI from Fotolia.com)

Mold Removal

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency recommends that you contact a professional mould removal company for clean-up of areas larger than 10 square feet. Small areas around leaky pipes or drains can be cleaned with household bleach. Saturate the area with bleach and rinse with clear water. It is impossible to eliminate mould spores in the air. Mold requires moisture to survive. The best way to control moisture is to control humidity and provide adequate air circulation.

Household mold & mushroom
Bleach removes mould. (cleaning mailbox 2. image by mdb from Fotolia.com)

Don't Miss

Filter:
  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
Sort:
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the eHow.co.uk site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.