The Best Way to Steam a Bridesmaid Dress
You want your friend's wedding day to be perfect, but you've just discovered that your bridesmaid dress that you thought had been packed perfectly for the occasion has some wrinkles. There are several ways to remove wrinkles from fine fabrics, depending on the material of your dress and the colour.
However, it's safest not to use steam irons or spray-on products, as these can stain or shrink the fabric. Instead, use the tried-and-true method of steam from your shower to steam away any wrinkles in your bridesmaid dress.
- You want your friend's wedding day to be perfect, but you've just discovered that your bridesmaid dress that you thought had been packed perfectly for the occasion has some wrinkles.
- However, it's safest not to use steam irons or spray-on products, as these can stain or shrink the fabric.
Handle your bridesmaid dress with care. Hang it on a plastic or cloth hanger high enough so the dress hangs freely and does not touch the floor of the bathroom.
Turn the shower on to hot and close the shower curtain. Ensure that no water escapes the shower and can touch the dress.
Close any windows in the bathroom and leave the exhaust fan off. Close the bathroom door to capture the steam. The water vapour should take out even the most stubborn creases.
Leave the bathroom door closed for 15 minutes. If there are only minor creases, you can check every five minutes. Turn off the water and smooth out the dress by hand.
- Close any windows in the bathroom and leave the exhaust fan off.
- Turn off the water and smooth out the dress by hand.
Inspect the dress carefully. If any wrinkles are still present, repeat the process for a few minutes at a time.
Allow the dress to air out in another room until it is completely cool. Hang it carefully in a closet so it is not pressing up against anything that could crease it.
How to Get Wrinkles Out of a Faux Leather Jacket Without a Dryer→
How to Remove Wrinkles From Polyester Curtains→
How to make a sash from fabric→
How to make my yellowed wedding dress white again→
How to Steam Clean Underarm Odor From Fabric→
How to Remove Water Stains From a Polyester Wedding Dress→
- Especially difficult creases may need to be taken to a dry cleaner to be professionally steamed.
- If your dress shop recommends steaming with an iron or steamer, hang the dress up and hold a heated iron or steamer filled with distilled water about 6 inches away before releasing some steam. Practice on a white towel beforehand to ensure there is no dirty build-up in the iron or steamer. Pull down on the hem to stretch the wrinkle as you steam the area.
- It is very easy to shrink fine fabric while steaming, so pay careful attention during the steaming process. It's better to have a dress with some wrinkles than a dress that no longer fits.
Helen Holzer is a veteran journalist who began writing in 1972 and has lived all over the country. She has written and edited on nearly every topic for major daily newspapers and other publications. She has also been a book reviewer and currently lives in the Pacific Northwest. She has a Bachelor of Arts in journalism from the University of Minnesota.