How to Clean Up Rat Poison Spills in the Home
Anup Shah/Photodisc/Getty Images
Rat poison, also known as rodenticide, is a dangerous substance to not only humans but also pets, if consumed. The poison kills rats by exploding the rodent's blood vessels and causing the rodents to bleed internally. The death is not immediate but occurs after several feedings of the poison.
When a spill occurs, it is important to act fast in the removal and disposal of the poison so pets and children will not eat the substance.
Sweep the poison into a pile in one part of the room or area. Wear latex gloves and a nose mask to keep the rat poison off your hands and out of your lungs.
Use a scoop or dust pan to place the rat poison into a bucket or plastic container that contains a lid. Use a marker to label the bucket or plastic container with "Rat Poison" or similar wording. Secure the lid on the bucket or container then store the item in a cool, dry location away from pets and children.
- Rat poison, also known as rodenticide, is a dangerous substance to not only humans but also pets, if consumed.
- Use a scoop or dust pan to place the rat poison into a bucket or plastic container that contains a lid.
Wet an old, large cloth or towel with warm water and wipe the surface the rat poison spilt on to remove any small poison fragments. Place the cloth or towel in a trash bag and dispose of the bag in your home's dustbin.
Remove the latex gloves from your hands and dispose of the gloves in a dustbin. Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water.
- Rat poison's shelf life is one year when stored at room temperature.
Nick Davis is a freelance writer specializing in technical, travel and entertainment articles. He holds a bachelor's degree in journalism from the University of Memphis and an associate degree in computer information systems from the State Technical Institute at Memphis. His work has appeared in "Elite Memphis" and "The Daily Helmsman" in Memphis, Tenn. He is currently living in Albuquerque, N.M.