How to Doctor Up Canned Cinnamon Rolls
cinnamon rolls image by Stephen VanHorn from Fotolia.com
Add your own touches to improve the flavour of canned cinnamon rolls. You do not have to follow the exact directions on the package of the cinnamon rolls to make a sweet breakfast treat. Change the flavour with additional ingredients to "doctor up" the rolls.
Use any brand available from the refrigerated section of the market, but larger varieties of canned cinnamon rolls will take longer to cook.
- Add your own touches to improve the flavour of canned cinnamon rolls.
Preheat the oven to 191 degrees Celsius.
Separate the individual rolls in the package. Unroll each cinnamon roll. Set aside the icing tub from the package.
Spread 1 tbsp of finely chopped nuts, fruit, chocolate chips or granola along the entire length on the inside of the roll.
Spray the inside of the baking pan with cooking spray.
Re-roll the cinnamon rolls and lay each roll on its side in the baking pan. Place the rolls next to each other in the pan.
Bake the cinnamon rolls at 191 degrees Cor 15 to 25 minutes or until the rolls in the centre have cooked all the way through.
Mix together the icing tub contents with 2 tbsp of maple syrup, fruit preserves, caramel ice cream topping or chocolate syrup.
Spread the touched-up icing over the cinnamon rolls while they are still warm and in the pan. Allow the excess icing to flow to the bottom of the pan. Optionally, skip the icing and drizzle maple syrup or honey over the warm rolls.
- Spread 1 tbsp of finely chopped nuts, fruit, chocolate chips or granola along the entire length on the inside of the roll.
- Spread the touched-up icing over the cinnamon rolls while they are still warm and in the pan.
- Try stuffing finely chopped apples from an apple pie filling inside the rolls and mixing maple or caramel syrup into the icing. Spread the flavoured icing over the warm rolls for an apple-pie inspired treat.
- Roll chocolate chips into the cinnamon rolls and mix caramel topping or chocolate topping into the icing if you want a super-sweet dessert.
- Nuts and granola rolled into the cinnamon rolls add crunch. Top these with a drizzle of honey instead of the frosting, if desired.