Take 2 Productions/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images
Shocks from static electricity are common occurrences, and you'll especially notice them when the indoor humidity is low. Touching any metal object such as a doorknob, or even another person, can generate that common, stinging shock. Because all types of materials are made up from electrical charges, static electricity can be generated when any two objects come in direct contact with each other. You need to learn how to stop getting electric shocks, so you can eliminate the surprise and discomfort of this common phenomenon.
Use a humidifier. You experience more static shocks when the level of humidity in the air is low, so by replacing air moisture with a home humidifier, you will notice a decrease in the amount of shocks you are getting. Some home heating systems are already equipped with a built-in humidifier, however, if yours is not, a small portable humidifier will work well.
Wear shoes with leather soles. Electrostatic Solutions, LTD, a research and development company in the area of electrostatic technology says wearing leather shoes can help stop static shocks.
Try an anti-static spray. You can purchase an anti-static spray at your grocery store, chemist or home improvement store. By lightly spraying your furniture, carpeting and even your clothing, static shocks will be greatly reduced, however, you might need to repeat the process as the frequency of static shocks increases again. Talk to your doctor if you or your family members have allergies or are sensitive to chemical sprays before using these products.
Consider static-dissipative floor products. These products, when applied to your floors, can decrease or even eliminate the static charges that cause shocks. As the product wears off, however, you might need to reapply it. Check with the manufacturer of your floors to make sure that a dissipative floor product is safe to use. If your floor is newer, and you use a product that is not recommended by the manufacturer, you might void your warranty.
Hold a key. When you grocery shop, the wheels of your cart can generate static electricity and cause static shocks when you touch metal objects. Hold a key in your hand, and with the key, touch a metal rack or other metal object. This will discharge or dissipate the static charge or electricity before you touch the object with your hand, and you will not feel any pain.
- To minimise the risk of shocks when you get out of a car, hold the door frame before stepping out. Do not let go, until you are completely out of the car. It may seem awkward at first, but after practicing a few times, it will become easy. This technique will also discharge static and reduce your risk of static shocks.
- Rub your furniture with fabric softener sheets. These sheets reduce static from your clothes, and they are effective in reducing static electricity that can be generated from furniture fabric.
- When you vacuum, dust that is sucked into your vacuum cleaner causes an accumulation of static charges and can cause multiple shocks while vacuuming. Do not wear gym shoes or slippers while vacuuming because these will increase your risk for static shocks. Instead, wear shoes with leather soles.
- Take 2 Productions/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images