How to connect a laptop to a karaoke system
Karaoke can be the life and centre of any party or social function, or just a fun way to spend an evening with the family. Even the most finicky person loosens up on karaoke night. If you store music on your laptop computer, the challenge is to get the music from your laptop and into the karaoke machine or system.
You do not need advanced computer training to do this. Hook up the laptop to the karaoke system and have a blast.
Make sure that all electronic equipment is turned off and you have an electric outlet nearby. It is preferable to run any loose wires and cables behind the electronic equipment.
- Karaoke can be the life and centre of any party or social function, or just a fun way to spend an evening with the family.
- It is preferable to run any loose wires and cables behind the electronic equipment.
Find the USB ports on the karaoke machine and on your laptop. They should be labelled with a little "Y" shape that is segmented on top of the port.
Take out a USB cable and unravel it completely. Make sure that each end has a USB plug that matches the corresponding device USB socket.
Place one end of the cable into the USB port of the computer. Take the other end and place it into the USB port of the karaoke machine. Some sound systems will require you to run an audio cable from the earphone jack of your computer to the karaoke machine. Place the large end of the audio cable into the input on the machine and the tiny end into the earphone jack of the computer.
- Find the USB ports on the karaoke machine and on your laptop.
- Place the large end of the audio cable into the input on the machine and the tiny end into the earphone jack of the computer.
Find the installation disk from the karaoke system and insert it into your computer. Follow the directions on the CD and install the software onto your laptop.
Allow the karaoke system to find the music on your computer. It will automatically transfer the music to the system, at which point the music is ready for editing and playback.
- If you know you are going to use a laptop with a karaoke machine, make sure you get a karaoke system that needs nothing more than the two connections mentioned here.
- Make sure you get USB cables that are compatible with both your computer and the karaoke system.
Tzvi Raphael has worked with Fortune 500 companies helping them to maximize their online brand exposure through innovative Web design, content, and marketing. Additionally, Raphael is a writer for multiple high-traffic blogs and websites including eHow and Weight Ladder.