Whether it is a favourite garment, purse or piece of furniture, white leather notoriously attracts dust, causing it to look dirty and dingy sometimes. Cleaning white leather may be difficult, but it doesn't have to be impossible. In fact, not only are many commercial products available, but as many, if not more, home remedies are available. Next time you want to clean or spruce up your favourite leather item, try one of these solutions.
Use plain soap and water. Mix a couple drops of liquid dish soap with warm water, and dip a soft cloth into it. Wring the excess water from the cloth, and gently rub the leather to remove any built-up grime and dirt.
Spray a soft mist of hairspray on your leather item, and wipe it clean with a soft cloth. Be careful not to saturate the item with hairspray or to grind the hairspray into the leather.
Mix two parts linseed oil with one part vinegar, and use a soft cloth to buff the leather clean. Use another cloth or paper towel to absorb any excess oil. Repeat as necessary.
Use a Mr. Clean Eraser. According to mrclean.com, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Original is safe to use on leather items such as shoes, purses and luggage. It can be used to remove scuffs, pen marks and dirt build up.
Visit a farm supply or outdoor speciality store and purchase some saddle soap. Saddle soap can be used to clean, soften and protect your leather items.
Take the item to a professional leather cleaner. They often have years of experience and products that aren't readily available to the average consumer.
- To spot clean leather on the run, use rubbing alcohol or a paste made of equal parts cream of tarter and lemon juice to blot at the stain. You may also try applying toothpaste or a baking soda paste to the stubborn stain. Let it dry then brush off with a small soft toothbrush.
- Baby wipes are also handy to clean spots off white leather jackets or purses.
- Make sure to regularly dust and condition your leather items.
- Store leather items in a dry well ventilated place. Do not put away wet or damp!
- Before using any type of cleaning product, test it on a small non-conspicuous spot.
- Keep leather items out of the sun to avoid cracking and fading.