car image by sasha from <a href='http://www.fotolia.com'>Fotolia.com</a>
A portable jump starter ensures you the convenience of being able to boost a car battery on your own, without the need for another vehicle. You can keep one in the boot or back seat of your car and never have the worry of your car battery dying and having no one around to help you. This is especially important during the winter when vehicle battery power can be restricted by the cold temperatures. The portable models work similar to the standard jump starters.
Lift the car bonnet up. Prop it up with the hood support rod or hood support latch.
Press and hold the fuel gauge switch on the portable jump starter to check the charging status.
Squeeze the handles on the red clamp to open it. Attach it onto the positive terminal on the car battery.
Squeeze the handles on the black clamp to open it . Attach it onto the edge of the car bonnet.
Turn the key in the ignition to start the car. The car should start with no problems. You can then remove the clamps and store the portable jump starter unit back in your car.
- Charge the device before needed to ensure it has enough power to boost the car battery. On most models, a green LED light indicates the device is ready to jump start, a yellow light indicates you should recharge it and a red light means you should recharge the device immediately.
- Certain models of portable jump starters may offer additional features, such as air-compression capabilities a built-in work light.
- A car that does not start after the battery is charged may indicate the battery is not good and may need replacement.
- Tuck the clamps neatly into the device after use to avoid cable damage.
- car image by sasha from Fotolia.com