We Value Your Privacy

We and our partners use technology such as cookies on our site to personalise content and ads, provide social media features, and analyse our traffic. Click below to consent to the use of this technology across the web. You can change your mind and change your consent choices at anytime by returning to this site.

Update Consent
Loading ...

Documents needed to renew a passport

Updated July 19, 2017

You can renew your U.S. passport by mail or in person at a passport acceptance facility. There are different requirements and documents needed for each of these methods.

Loading ...

Requirements by Mail

To apply by mail you need an undamaged copy of your expired passport. It should have been issued within the last 15 years and at age 16 or older. It must be in your current name or you must include legally documented proof of a name change.

Documents by Mail

If you meet the above criteria, you need to mail the following documents: expired passport, completed DS-82 Form, two passport photos, current passport fee and marriage certificate or court order if your name has changed since you were issued your last passport.

In-Person Requirements

If your expired passport is damaged or unable to be mailed, or you are a minor age 17 or younger, you will need to apply in person for a renewal.

In-Person Documents

Applying for a renewal in person is the same process as applying for your first passport. You will need a completed DS-11 Form, evidence of U.S. citizenship, a valid ID, a photocopy of valid ID, the current application fee and two passport photos.


In addition to the in-person documents, minors will need both parents present at the time of application, their parents' IDs and a photocopy of the IDs, along with evidence of relationship. If only one parent accompanies the child, a parental consent form must be delivered, signed by the other parent.

Loading ...

About the Author

Anne Greenawalt is a writer and university composition instructor with degrees in creative writing, women's studies and communication studies. She is enrolled in an adult education doctoral program.

Loading ...