Ben 10 is a popular children's superhero character, particularly among young boys. Creating a Ben 10 Halloween costume can be a creative and surprisingly inexpensive family project. You can even follow the instructions to create Ben's signature armpiece, the Omnitrix.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 3-foot long piece of black felt or similar fabric
- Large package or roll of self-adhesive Velcro
- Solid white T-shirt
- Pair of olive green shorts or trousers (in your child's size)
- For the Omnitrix™:
- Empty Bubble Tape ® gum container
- Can of silver spray
- 2-liter green soda bottle (label removed)
- Black marker
- Black poster board
- Super glue
- 9-inch strip of grey fabric (any type)
- Pair of gloves
Cut a 5-inch wide strip of black felt out of the 3-foot piece. The strip should be exactly as long as the white T-shirt. Use the picture provided with this article as a visual. Cut out three more strips of felt, 1-inch wide by 16-inches long.
Repeat Step 1 using the Velcro. You need to cut one long strip of Velcro to attach to each side of the 5-inch wide strip and three strips to go with the three smaller pieces of fabric. So, you should have two long strips of Velcro that are the exact length of the shirt and three strips that are 1-inch wide by 16-inches long.
Place the strips of fabric with their corresponding lengths of Velcro. Attach one part of the longer strip Velcro to the long sides of the 5-inch strip of felt from Step 1. (It does not matter whether you attach the fuzzy part of the Velcro or the rough part; the fabric will stick to the shirt either way.) Also, attach one side of the three 1x16-inch strips of Velcro to each of the three 1x16-inch strips of black felt.
Now, attach the other part of the Velcro (whichever part to did not attach to the felt) to the shirt. Attach the long strips of Velcro to the front of the shirt vertically and as centred as possible. Attach the three remaining strips of Velcro to the shirt in this order: one onto the opening of the right sleeve, one onto the opening of the left sleeve and the last to the collar of the shirt. You may have to trim excess material if some fabric overlaps.
Attach the Velcro-backed strips of black felt to the shirt. The 5-inch wide strip should attach to the Velcro on the front of the shirt. The three remaining Velcro-backed strips should attach to the shirt in the same order as in Step 4, one to each sleeve and the last on the collar. You may again need to do some trimming in case of overlapping.
See Warning before beginning this section. While wearing gloves in a ventilated area, spray the container of Bubble Tape ® with the silver spray paint. You should spray one side of the container, allow that side to dry and then spray the other side. Allow it to dry completely before handling it again (this takes several minutes).
Draw a 2-inch diameter circle on the green soda bottle with the black marker. Cut out the circle very carefully with the razor. Attach this circle to one side of the spray-painted bubblegum container using the super glue.
Draw another 2-inch diameter circle onto the black poster. Cut this circle out of the poster board, then draw your best diamond shape in the centre of the circle. Make the diamond fairly large, but not so large that it bisects the circle. Cut this shape out of the circle. Lastly, glue this circle over the green plastic circle on the gum container. You should now have a black circle with a green diamond in its centre.
Glue the gum container onto the grey strip of fabric, exactly in the middle.
Cut one 1x1-inch piece of Velcro from whatever Velcro remains. Attach one piece to each end of the grey fabric. One end should receive the fuzzy part of the Velcro and the opposite end should receive the rough, prickly part. You now have a complete Ben 10 costume!
Tips and warnings
- The full costume includes the white felt-covered shirt, olive green trousers and homemade Omnitrix™. The trousers do not need altering in any way.
- For an added treat for your child, make an Omnitrix™ with the gum still inside. Just purchase a new, full container of gum and remove the gum before spray painting the container. Glue the circles only on one half so that you can still open the container. Then, insert the gum back into the container before attaching the container to the grey strip of fabric.
- The Omnitrix™ section is fairly easy but because of the use of spray paint MUST be performed by an ADULT because of the use of spray paint.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for