Learn the false casting technique for fly fishing and how to best utilize various fly fishing techniques if you're just starting out as a fly fisherman in this free video series.
Hi! I’m Jim Dowd at zoaroutdoor.com. We are here for expertvillage.com, and this session is all about fly casting and what you need to know to sling it out there. In this segment we will talk about false casting. False casting is a really good tool to use in a number of situations. It can be used to dry the fly with a dry fly. It can be used to change directions in your cast. It can be used for other purposes as well, but essentially what it does is it allows you to measure your line and get your distance, and it is based on our old friend, the 4 part cast. It’s part 1, 2 and 3. Here we go 1, 2, and now its 2 and 3. Back cast, forward cast, and all we are doing is keeping the line in the air. When it unfurls behind you, you far start your forward cast, when it unfurls in front of you, you start your back cast. This also introduces the notion of timing. You will notice that after a while, your strokes start to just get in a groove. So false casting is a wonderful way to improve timing, to dry your dry fly, to change distance and to improve your casting skills.
- Learn How to Strike & Set the Hook When Fly Fishing
- Understand the Concept of False Casting When Fly Fishing
- Learn the Haul Technique When Fly Fishing
- Learn to Shoot the Line When Fly Fishing
- Understand Roll Casting When Fly Fishing
- Understand Two-Point Line Control When Fly Fishing
- Understand Line Retrieving & Angling When Fly Fishing
- Understand Cast Stroke Mechanics
- Maintain Proper Thumb Control When Fly Fishing
- How to Pause to Straighten Out a Fly Casting Line
- How to Read Your Fly Casting Line
- How to String a Fishing Rod When Fly Fishing
- Learn the Basic Fly Fishing Cast
- How to Practice Casting When Fly Fishing