Learn the roll casting technique for fly fishing and how to best utilize various fly fishing techniques if you're just starting out as a fly fisherman in this free video series.
Hi! I’m Jim Dowd at zoaroutdoor.com. We are here for expertvillage.com, and this session is all about fly casting and what you need to know to sling it out there. I would like to introduce you to one of the greatest casts there is, one of my personal favorites. It’s called the roll cast and looks something like this. The beauty of the roll cast is that you need no back cast room behind you at all. You can use this fishing technique repeatedly in conditions where you just can’t cast elsewhere, and it is really quite simple. The way it works is this: slowly, gradually lift the line up, bring it up behind you, raise the rod tip, start slow, accelerate to a stop position at 45 degrees and out it goes. Now here it is looking straight at you. Raise the rod tip up out, start slow and stop at 45 degrees, accelerate and stop at 45 degrees, accelerate and stop. So it looks like this from the side. Raise the rod tip up, let the line fall behind the rod, rod up hello like a telephone, hello, it’s for you. What this does is it opens up all new horizons. You can also do it across your body, so that if the wind is blowing as it is now, the line will be blown away from you. And raising the rod tip up, start slow, accelerate to 45 and out it goes. Raise the rod tip up, up high, accelerate and stop. So that is the roll cast. It is an easy cast to practice and, it's a great cast to have in your repertoire.
- Learn How to Strike & Set the Hook When Fly Fishing
- Understand the Concept of False Casting When Fly Fishing
- Learn the Haul Technique When Fly Fishing
- Learn to Shoot the Line When Fly Fishing
- Understand Two-Point Line Control When Fly Fishing
- Understand Line Retrieving & Angling When Fly Fishing
- Understand Roll Casting When Fly Fishing
- Maintain Proper Thumb Control When Fly Fishing
- Understand Cast Stroke Mechanics
- How to Read Your Fly Casting Line
- How to Pause to Straighten Out a Fly Casting Line
- Learn the Basic Fly Fishing Cast
- How to String a Fishing Rod When Fly Fishing
- How to Practice Casting When Fly Fishing