Learn some casting practice tips before you get started as a beginner fly fisherman in this free video series.
Hi! I'm Jim Dowd at Zoaroutdoor.com. We are here for expertvillage.com, and this session is all about fly casting and what you need to know to sling it out there. So the first thing to remember is to always wear a hat and glasses so that it will protect your vision and save your hide. In addition, instead of using a hook, we are going to be using a yarn fly, which is simply a piece of yarn tied on with a cinch knot to the end of your tippet. This will enormously aid your casting practice because it emulates a live fly without putting you at risk of getting hooked. So these are the three considerations: use a yarn fly, always wear your glasses and a hat.
- Learn How to Strike & Set the Hook When Fly Fishing
- Understand the Concept of False Casting When Fly Fishing
- Learn the Haul Technique When Fly Fishing
- Learn to Shoot the Line When Fly Fishing
- Understand Two-Point Line Control When Fly Fishing
- Understand Line Retrieving & Angling When Fly Fishing
- Understand Roll Casting When Fly Fishing
- Maintain Proper Thumb Control When Fly Fishing
- Understand Cast Stroke Mechanics
- How to Read Your Fly Casting Line
- How to Pause to Straighten Out a Fly Casting Line
- Learn the Basic Fly Fishing Cast
- How to String a Fishing Rod When Fly Fishing
- How to Practice Casting When Fly Fishing