Induction lamps are high-frequency light sources that convert electricity into visible light. These lamps are most commonly known as fluorescent light bulbs. They spend half of their time operating as a cathode and the other half of their time operating as an anode. Through thermionic emission, induction lamps can create electrons out of electrons. Some problems, however, are associated with induction lighting.
Other People Are Reading
Induction lamps are more efficient than metal halides, but they are not as efficient as T5s. They also cost five to six times more than metal halide systems and do not last as long as T5s and light-emitting diodes (LEDs).
Induction lamps sometimes produce more light than is needed, creating glare and possibly eye problems. Homeowners cannot dim induction lamps, and automatic dimming controls will not work with induction lamps.
The minimum starting temperature for induction lamps is only 0 C. While they can produce light in a broad range of temperatures, they tend to produce less light when the temperature rises above 40 C.
Induction lamps require special fixtures. As a result, people who own a home or building that isn't designed for induction lighting will have a difficult time retrofitting the structure.
Compared to other kinds of lighting sources, induction lamps are heavier, and installers can have a difficult time carrying them. That is an issue because these lamps contain chemicals such as mercury that can harm people if the lamps break. Mercury plays an important role in an induction lamp, with electromagnets energising the mercury. If an induction lamp breaks, a cleanup crew must put on masks, open all windows and clean up the mercury spill.
Induction lighting produces signals that can interfere with electronic devices and radio signals. This interference comes from electromagnetic radiation released by the lights. The electromagnetic radiation can affect the operation of highly sensitive computers and essential medical equipment.
Induction lamps cannot handle overheating. If a generator overheats and sends excessive heat to an induction lamp, the lamp will break because it cannot dissipate heat. Heat sinks and insulation can prevent induction lamps from overheating.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for