Garden flowers that are harmful to dogs

Updated February 21, 2017

Many flowers that people commonly plant in their gardens are actually poisonous to their dogs or other pets. Daffodils, carnations and baby's breath, for example, can all cause health problems in dogs if ingested. In order to avoid unintentionally poisoning your pet, be sure to look up each variety of flower before you plant it in your yard.

Baby's Breath

Baby's breath is also known as maiden's breath, and is commonly used as a filler in flower arrangements. The flowers are very small, yet dangerous to dogs and cats. Baby's breath contains Gyposenin, which can make dogs vomit and have diarrhoea.


Daffodils are known for the unique shape of their blooms and bright yellow hue, although they also come in white. Because they contain Amaryllidaceae, daffodils are poisonous to dogs. The bulbs of the plant are the most poisonous. When ingested, daffodils cause diarrhoea, throwing up and salivation.


Carnations are a popular flower because they come in such a variety of colours. They contain an irritant that affects dogs as well as cats. Eating the plant can cause dermatitis and also gastrointestinal problems.


Daisies often have white petals with a yellow centre, but they come in a variety of colours and sizes. Daisies are dangerous to cats and dogs because they contain pyrethins and sesquiterpenes, which causes diarrhoea, excessive drooling and vomiting.


Dahlia flowers may have a variety of petal shapes ranging from thin and rolled, to flat and wide. The blooms are made of a large number of these petals layered upon each other. Dahlias have an irritant in them that causes dermatitis and gastrointestinal problems in dogs.

Sweet Pea

Sweet pea plant is a climbing plant commonly used as the backdrop to gardens. It blooms in a variety of colours, such as pink, purple and white. Sweet pea contains Aminoproprionitrite, which is poisonous to dogs, cats and horses. In dogs, it causes weakness, head pressing and even death.


Irises are also known as flags, or water snakes. They are very dangerous to cats and dogs because they have a high concentration of pentacylic terpenoids in them. Pentacyclic terpeniods cause excessive drooling, lethargy, diarrhoea and throwing up.


Several types of lilies are poisonous to dogs, such as the lily of the palace and the superb lily. The flowers contain various toxins that cause vomiting, diarrhoea and other health problems.

Morning Glory

Morning glory flowers are not only poisonous to cats and dogs, but humans as well. The indole alkaloids in the plants can lead to a large variety of gastrointestinal problems in dogs and people. They can also induce hallucinations and shaking.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author