How to Do Art Marbling

Written by diana nolen | 13/05/2017

Marbling occurs when an artist creates a pattern upon paper that has the same or similar look as natural stone marble. Marbling is not a new technique; marbled art creations have been found from as far back as the 1700s. Each marbling creation is unique, so when you create your art piece, you can truly say nothing looks just like your creation. Marbled papers can be used to create unique works of art, or can even be cut for use as book covers, cards, stationery or bookmarks.

Cover your work area with old newspapers; this will protect the work surface. Also lay newspaper in the place where the marbled paper will dry. Place the roasting pan over the newspaper pieces. Pour ½ to 1 inch of cold water into the roasting pan.

Add several drops of paint to the water. Use as many colours as you want, but three or four different colours are ideal. Run a craft stick through the paint, making a swirl pattern with the paints. The swirls will appear upon the paper as they lie in the pan.

Lay a piece of paper over the marbled paint and water mixture. Slowly lay it in at one end, and then roll it back onto the mixture. The paper should lie flat upon the water and paint mixture, floating. Do not immerse the paper.

Grasp the corners of the far side of the paper and roll it back out of the mixture, the reverse of putting it in the pan. The paper should have absorbed the majority of the paint. Lie the paper flat to dry completely, marble side up, on layered newspaper.

Things you need

  • Old newspapers
  • Disposable roasting pan
  • Water
  • Marbling paint or ink
  • Paper
  • Craft stick

Show MoreHide

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.